Malvern Hill is a plateau on the northern bank of the James River, where McClellan, aided greatly by Union gunboats,. repulsed Lee’s attack 1 July 1862, saving his army of the Potomac in the final 1 battle of the Seven Days Battle of the peninsular campaign.
(PC‑580: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 6'5"; s. 20.2 k. cpl. 59; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 5 20mm., 2 dct., 2 dcp.; cl. PC‑461)
The fourth Malvern (PC‑580 was laid down as PC‑580 by Albina Engine & Machinery Works, Inc., Portland, Oreg., 22 January 1942; launched 29 April 1942; and commissioned 26 September 1942, Lt. Comdr. Alvin W. Slayden in command.
PC‑580 trained officers and sonar men in the art of antisubmarine warfare throughout World War II. She also participated with the Pacific Fleet in patrol and convoy operations in the waters between the Hawaiian Islands and the west coast through 1945.
The submarine chaser then spent the next 14 years in duty off Key West, Fla., and Norfolk, Va., as a training ship for the Fleet Sonar School, except for a period in 1948 when she moved to the Gulf of Mexico to engage in training maneuvers out of Corpus Christi, Tex. On 15 February 1956 she was named Malvern. In 1957 and 1958 she made brief cruises to the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, area.
On 27 March Malvern decommissioned and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. She was then transferred under the Military Assistance Program to the Republic of Indonesia 17 March 1960. Into 1969 she serves Indonesia as Hiu.