Malvern Hill is a plateau on the northern bank of the James River, where McClellan, aided greatly by Union gunboats,. repulsed Lee’s attack 1 July 1862, saving his army of the Potomac in the final 1 battle of the Seven Days Battle of the peninsular campaign.
(SP‑3055: t. 34; l. 60'; b. 15'4"; dph. 6'; dr. 6'6"; s. 8 k.; a. none)
The second Malvern, a tug, was built as Malvern Hill by H. Turman, Turkey Point, Va., in 1900; chartered by the Navy; and commissioned as Malvern 27 April 1917.
Malvern served in the 5th Naval District, performing minesweeping and towing duties out of Norfolk, Va., from shortly after the United States declared war on Germany, 6 April, until after the Armistice, 11 November 1918. On 16 January 1919 she decommissioned and was returned to her owner.