Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mahopac

 

Lake in New York, 50 miles south by east of New York City.

 

II

 

(AT‑29: dpl. 845; l. 156'8"; b. 30'2"; dr. 12'11"; a. 12.4 k.; cpl. 44; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Tadousac)

 

Originally assigned the name Kickapoo, AT‑29 was renamed Mahopac 24 February 1919; launched 27 May 1919 by the Navy Yard, Puget Sound, Wash.; and commissioned 20 October 1919, Lt. (jg.) H. J. Carey in command.

 

From commissioning until February 1920, Mahopac operated in the 12th Naval District. She was then transferred to the 13th Naval District. There, for more than two decades, she rendered valuable service to the ships of the Pacific Fleet in successfully performing tug and towing assignments in the intricate channels of the Pacific Northwest.

 

Reclassified ATO‑29 on 15 May 1944, she continued to operate out of Bremerton, Wash., until decommissioning 12 September 1946. The following mouth she was struck from the Navy Register and on 28 April 1947 she was accepted by the Maritime Commission and delivered to the Puget Sound Tug & Barge Co. at Port of Nordland, Wash.