Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mahoa

 

An Indian name.

 

(YTB‑519: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 26'; dr. 10'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; a. none; cl. Hissado)

 

Mahoa (YTB‑519) was laid down by Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Fla., 8 January 1945; launched 30 April 190; sponsored by Mrs. Saul Shapiro; and placed in service 21 August 1945.

 

Assigned to the 15th Naval District, Mahoa operated in waters of the Canal Zone out of the Coco Solo Naval Base and provided valuable tug and towing services for ships of the fleet. She remained in the Canal Zone until 1958 when she transferred to the 6th Naval District for similar duty out of Charleston, S.C. Mahoa was reclassified YTM‑519 in February 1962. Assigned to duty with the Atlantic Fleet in January 1966, at present she continues to serve the fleet in an active in service status.