A Chief of the Fox and Sauk Tribes which inhabited the southern part of Iowa. Although the tribes were moved to Kansas following a treaty with the United States in the 1840ís, they, through their chief, are remembered in Iowa in the name of Mahaska County.
(YN‑36: dp. 220; l. 101'; b. 26'; dr. 13'.)
The second Mahaska (YN‑36), built as Crusader by Ira L. Bushey & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1940, was purchased by the Navy under contract, negotiated with the builder in the fall of 1940; renamed Mahaska (YN‑36) 11 October 1940; and delivered to the 3d Naval District 9 December 1940. Her conversion completed by the New York Navy Yard 18 March 1941, the tug sailed south for duty in the 5th Naval District (Norfolk, Va.). With a brief interruption for temporary duty in the 10th Naval District (San Juan, P.R.) in 1945, Mahaska has served the 5th Naval District from 1941 into 1969. During that time she has been reclassified three times: to YNT‑4, 8 April 1942; to YTB‑730, 4 August 1945; and to YTM‑730, her present designation, in July 1946.