A tree with large fragrant flowers of white, pink, or purple.
A Coast Guard name retained.
(WAGL‑231: l. 173'; b. 30'; dr. 7'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 21); a. 1 6‑pdr.)
The second Coast Guard Magnolia was built in 1904 at Baltimore, Md., as a lighthouse and buoy tender and assigned permanent station at New Orleans, La.
Transferred to the Navy by Executive order 9 April 1917, she continued to operate as a buoy tender and patrol craft out of New Orleans. At the end of hostilities she returned to the Treasury Department and resumed tender duties with the Lighthouse Service until that Service became part of the Coast Guard in 1939.
Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the entire Coast Guard to the Navy. Magnolia continued service as a buoy tender out of New Orleans until she sank off Mobile, Ala., 24 August 1945, after a collision with SS Marguerite Leland.