Former names retained.
Mystery (SP‑16), a fast, twin‑engined motorboat, was surveyed early in 1917 for use in the 3d Naval District. However, she was not taken over by the Navy.
(Str: dp. 212; l. 106'6"; b. 20'6"; dr. 6'6"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 8; a. none)
The second Mystery (SP‑2744), a converted fishing trawler, was built in 1886 by A. G. Brown, Tottenville, N.Y.; chartered by the Navy from Empire Water Co., Inc., of New York City, 18 July 1918; taken over 20 August 1918; and commissioned 2 September 1918.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Mystery served as a support ship for minesweepers operating in the approaches to New York harbor. Following the Armistice, she was returned to her owner 18 January 1919.