Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Myrtle

 

Any of several evergreen shrubs of the family Myrtaceae having solitary white or pinkish flowers and dark-colored berries. The second, third and fourth Myrtles retained their former names.

 

III

 

(Motor boat: t. 21; l. 40'9"; b. 11'8"; dr. 319"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 6; a. none)

 

The third Myrtle (SP‑3289), a wooden motorboat, was built by T. B. Hayman, Elizabeth City, N.C., in 1915; leased by the Navy from her owner, A. S. Rascol of Windsor, N.C., 16 October 1918; and assigned to the 5th Naval District. During the remainder of the year Myrtle carried out patrol and dispatch duties in the Norfolk area. She was returned to her owner 27 January 1919.