Any of several evergreen shrubs of the family Myrtaceae having solitary white or pinkish flowers and dark-colored berries. The second, third and fourth Myrtles retained their former names.
(ScTug: t. 60; l. 751; b. 16'3"; dr. 61; s. 10 k.)
The first Myrtle, a twin‑screw tug, was acquired as Resolute by the Navy from the War Department 30 September 1862; renamed Myrtle 15 October 1862; and assigned to Rear Adm. David Dixon Porterís Mississippi Squadron. During the remainder of the Civil War she operated at Cairo, III., providing tug and towing services for the squadron and serving as a dispatch boat. She served on both the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers and in 1865 transferred her base of operations to Mound City, Ill. She was turned over to the naval station at Mound City 8 August 1865. She was sold at public auction 17 August 1865 to E. H. Ellis.