Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Myrmidon

 

In Greek mythology, a warrior of the fierce Thessalian tribe who accompanied King Achilles, their leader, to the Trojan War.

 

(ARL‑16: dp. 2,125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 253; a. 8 40mm., 8 20mm.; cl. Achelous)

 

Myrmidon (ARL‑16) was laid down as LST‑948 by Bethlehem‑Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass., 25 August 1944; named Myrmidon 11 September 1944; launched 28 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Marguerite Ross; placed in reduced commission 19 October 1944; transferred to Jacksonville, Fla.; decommissioned there 10 November 1944; converted to ARL‑16 by Merrill Stevens Shipyard, Jacksonville; and commissioned 9 March 1945, Lt. Edgar A. Simpson in command.

 

After shakedown along the east coast, Myrmidon departed Norfolk, Va., for the Pacific 10 April. She reached San Diego late in the month; thence, after loading cargo at San Francisco, she steamed to Pearl Harbor 10‑19 May for duty with Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet. Sailing in convoy 30 May, she steamed via the Marshalls to Iwo Jima where she arrived 22 June.

 

During the closing weeks of fighting in the Pacific Myrmidon operated at Iwo Jima repairing, disbursing, and provisioning ships at that important American forward base. Following the Japanese surrender, she continued service and repair duties throughout the Pacific from the Marianas to Pearl Harbor. Late in 1946 she returned to the gulf coast and was placed in a reduced service status in January 1947. She decommissioned at Orange, Tex., 7 July 1947 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She remained berthed with ships of the Orange Group for more than a decade. Her name was struck from the, Navy list 1 April 1960, and she was sold 21 December 1960 to River Equipment, Inc., Memphis, Tenn., and later resold to Dravo Corp., Neville Island, Pittsburgh, Pa., 16 January 1961.