The first Mustang retained her former name. The second Mustang isnamed for a small wild or semiwild horse of the southwestern plains of the United States.
(IX‑155: t. 566 (gr.);1. 170'4"; b. 37'6"; dph. 12'8"; a. none)
The second Mustang (IX‑155), a four‑master wooden schooner, was built as William H. Smith in 1899 by H. K. Hall, Port Blakely, Wash. During the next four decades she sailed the Pacific coast between San Francisco and Alaskan ports in the fishing trade. She was acquired by the Navy from Alaska Salmon Co. of San Francisco, 28 January 1944; converted for Navy use by Pacific Drydock & Repair Co., Oakland, Calif.; and renamed Mustang 6 February 1944.
Following completion of her conversion 17 April 1944, Mustang was assigned to the Amphibious Training Base at Coronado, Calif. During the remainder of World War II she provided training facilities at Coronado. She was declared surplus to Navy needs 16 May 1946, her name struck from the Navy list 5 June, and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission. Subsequently she was sold to Arthur Banks of Los Angeles.