The first Murray retained her former name; the second two were named for Capt. Alexander Murray and his grandson Rear Adm. Alexander Murray.
The elder Alexander Murray was born 12 July 1755 in Chestertown, Md. During the Revolution, he served as captain in the 1st Maryland Regiment, commanded several privateers, and was commissioned lieutenant in the Continental Navy 20 July 1781, returning to private life in 1785. Upon the organization of the U.S. Navy, Murray was commissioned captain 1 July 1798, and commanded Montezuma, Insurgente, and Constellation during the quasi‑war with France; Constellation against the Barbary pirates in the Mediterranean 1801‑1803; and Adams in home waters in 1805. From 1808 until his death 6 October 1821, Murray was superintendent of gunboats at Philadelphia, and from 8 July 1813 also was first commandant of the Philadelphia Navy Yard.
His grandson was born 2 January 1816 in Pittsburgh, Pa. He was appointed midshipman 22 August 1835 and participated in the capture of Alvarado, Tobasco, Tuxpan, Vera Cruz, and Tampico during the Mexican War. In the Civil War he commanded a combined Army‑Navy operation up the York and Pamunky Rivers in February 1862, destroying 27 Confederate vessels while cruising within 11 miles of Richmond. He served in the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron during the rest of the war. In 1886‑87 he commanded a special squadron cruising to Russia, then served as commandant of the Philadelphia Navy Yard, on the Lighthouse Board, and in command of the Pacific Station. He died 10 November 1884 in Washington, D.C.
(SP‑1438: l. 55'; b. 13'; dr. 4'6"; s. 10 m.p.h.; cpl. 6; a. none)
The first Murray (SP‑1438), a motorboat, was built in 1915 by Chance Marine Construction Co., Annapolis, Md., for the Conservation Commission of Maryland; loaned to the Navy; and ordered delivered 17 August 1917.
After service on patrol in the 5th Naval District, Murray was returned to her owner 26 November 1918.