Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Munvood

 

A former name retained.

 

(ScStr: t. 5,400 (dw) l. 345' (b.p.); b. 48'; dr. 22'312"; s. 11.5 k. cpl. 87; a. 1 5", 1 3")

 

Munwood, a cargo ship, was built in 1914 by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engine Co., Greenock, Scotland; acquired by the Navy from Munson Steamship Lines 16 October 1918; and commissioned at Baltimore 26 October 1918, Lt. Comdr. W. D. L. Gilboy, USNRF, in command.

 

Munwood, with an Army cargo, cleared Baltimore for France 29 November 1918. En route she responded to an S O S from the Portuguese steamer Queda, took her in tow to Bermuda, and proceeded on to Quiberon, arriving 10 January 1919. She proceeded to Nantes, where she discharged cargo 20 January. After a delay caused by a collision with the British steamer Baylula, Munwood cleared for Bermuda with mixed cargo, arriving 18 February. She decommissioned at Baltimore 3 March 1919 and was returned to her owner the same day.