Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mundelta

 

A former name retained.

 

(ScStr: dp. 10,000 (n.); l. 885'; b. 53'; dr. 24'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 79; a. 2 4")

 

Mundelta, a cargo ship built by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va., in 1917, was acquired by the Navy from the Munson Steamship Lines 20 April 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Nils A. Nilsen, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Mundelta departed New York City in convoy 8 May, docking Le Havre, France, the 20th to debark Army supplies. On 20 June she steamed for New York to load mixed cargo for another trip to Europe. On her return to the east coast from Bordeaux, France, Mundelta was transferred at New York to the USSB 26 December 1918 and returned to her owners after decommissioning on 11 February 1919.