Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Munalbro

 

A former name retained.

 

(ScStr: dp. 10,000 (n.); l. 375'; b. 49'0"; dr. 25'0"; dph. 26'11"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 53; a. 2 3")

 

Munalbro, a cargo ship, was built by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va., in 1916; acquired by the Navy from the Munson Steamship Lines 17 September 1918; and commissioned at Newport News the same day, Lt. Comdr. F. E. Cross, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS, Munalbro joined a convey at New York bound for Europe 26 September; arrived La Pallice, France, 13 October to discharge part of her Army cargo; and continued on to St. Nazaire, Nantes, and Quiberon. She departed Quiberon 1 November for the east coast, arriving Norfolk, Va., 22 November. On 12 December Munalbro made a second crossing to Quiberon, returning to New York 1 March 1919. On 21 March Munalbro decommissioned and was delivered to the USSB for simultaneous return to her owners to serve under the name James L. Richards.