Robert Madison Mullany, born in New York City 26 October 1818, was appointed midshipman 7 January 1832 and took part in the capture of Tobasco during the Mexican War. He served with the North Atlantic and West Gulf Blockading Squadrons during the Civil War, and received the thanks of Congress for gallantry in the Battle of Mobile Bay, where he lost an arm. As rear admiral he commanded the North Atlantic Station (1874‑75), protecting American interests on the Isthmus of Panama. He died at Bryn Mawr, Pa., 17 September 1887.
(DD‑325: dp. 1,215; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
The first Mullany (DD‑325) was laid down 3 June 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; launched 9 July 1920; sponsored by Miss Alice Lee Hall; and commissioned at Mare Island Navy Yard 29 March 1921, Lt. Edward Breed in command.
Based at San Diego, Mullany operated along the west coast through most of her career, sailing annually to the Canal Zone and the Caribbean for combined fleet maneuvers. She left San Francisco 15 April 1925 for fleet tactics in Hawaiian waters, from which she sailed 1 July with the battle fleet on a good will cruise via Samoa to Australia and New Zealand. Mullany returned to San Diego 27 September.
In 1928, she twice cruised to Hawaii, first for fleet maneuvers, and later training naval reservists. She decommissioned 1 May 1930 at San Diego. Her name was struck from the Navy list 18 November 1930 and she was sold for scrapping 19 March 19.31.