Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Muir Woods

 

A merchant name retained.

 

(AO‑139: dp. 21,800 (f); l. 524'; b. 68'; d. 30'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Suamico)

 

Muir Woods, a T‑2 tanker built for U.S. Maritime Commission by Kaiser Corp., Portland, Oreg., was laid down 6 January 1945; launched 9 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. George B. Peters; and delivered to the Soviet Union 22 March 1945 as part of the Lend‑Lease Program. The tanker served in the Russian maritime service under the name Elbruz until returned to U.S. custody at Trieste, Italy 20 February 1948.

 

The ship was operated by Marine Transport Lines under contract with the Maritime Commission. On 23 April 1948, she was acquired by the Navy, and was placed under control of Naval Transportation Service, designated as AO‑139. With the formation of MSTS, control of the tanker was transferred to that command 1 October 1949.

 

T‑AO‑139 continued to supply American overseas bases with fuel oil until 10 June 1959, when she was struck from the Navy list and transferred to the Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet, James River, Va., where she remains into 1969.