Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Morris

 

Robert Morris, born in Liverpool, England, 20 January 1734, emigrated to Maryland in 1747. The next year he moved to Philadelphia where, after brief schooling, he entered the service of the Willings, shipping merchants. Rising to partnership in 1754, Morris rapidly attained great power and influence in the commercial and political life of America. Appointed to the Pennsylvania Committee of Safety in June 1775, he was extremely active, arming both Pennsylvanian and Continental forces. Joining the Continental Congress in November 1776, he was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

 

Morris’ key role in the financial affairs of the new nation led to his appointment as Superintendent of Finance in May 1781 and Agent of Marine that September. His extraordinary skill in both offices greatly contributed to American success in the Revolution. A delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Morris served in the U.S. Senate 1789‑1795, but declined to stand for reelection. He continued his leadership in business and banking until impoverished when values of his extensive land holdings collapsed. Morris died in Philadelphia 8 May 1806.

 

VIII

 

(PC‑1179: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; cpl. 65; s. 22 k.; a. 2 3", 1 40mm.; cl. PC‑461)

 

PC‑1179 was laid down 20 September 1943 by the Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; launched 6 November 1943; and commissioned 22 January 1943 at New Orleans.

 

In late April 1944, PC‑1179, having completed submarine chaser training off the southern Florida coast, joined the Surface Escort Group, Eastern Sea Frontier, for a 3‑month tour. Transferring thereafter to the Pacific, she joined the 3d Fleet’s amphibious group at the end of August and was assigned to TG 33.4. A month later, with others of that fleet, she was attached to the 7th Fleet for the Leyte invasion. She arrived in the Dulag landing area 20 October with TG “B” and served as a landing craft control vessel for assault units blue and orange of the southern attack force. From Leyte she moved north to perform similar services during the landings on Luzon. Detached from the 7th Fleet in late January 1945 she joined TG 52.4, minecraft, and underwent training for operation “Iceberg,” the Okinawa campaign. Assigned to Sweep Unit 7, she entered Okinawan waters 22 March and for the next 9 days exploded surface mines with machinegun fire as the sweepers of her group hunted and cleared the enemy’s minefields between Kerama Retto and the Hagushi beaches in preparation for “L‑day,” 1 April. By that date, the minecraft groups had swept more than 2,500 square miles discovered 6 minefields and destroyed at least 194 mines. By 21 June, when Okinawa was declared secure, these groups had upped their score against the enemy, but had also accounted for more than 15 percent of all naval casualties during the operation.

 

PC‑1179 continued to operate with the 3d Fleet’s minesweepers through the end of the war. On her return to the United States she commenced inactivation and on 8 April 1946 reported to the 19th Fleet. On 13 May 1946 she decommissioned and was berthed in the Columbia River, where she remained for the next 15 years. Renamed Morris (PC‑1179), 15 February 1956, she was struck from the Navy list 1 July 1960 and sold 10 May 1961