A town in northern New Jersey which was twice the site of Washington’s winter headquarters, 1776‑77, and 1779‑80.
(ScStr: dp. 10,562; l. 392'; b. 52'; dr. 23'8"; s. 9.5 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 4", 1 3")
Morristown, a cargo ship, was built by the Standard Shipbuilding Co., Shooters’ Island, N.Y., in 1918; acquired by the Navy from the Russian Volunteer Fleet 18 October 1918 at Hoboken, N.J.; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Allen D. Tucker, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Morristown sailed from New York 27 October in convoy for Europe, arriving La Pallice, France, 15 November to debark her cargo of army supplies and planes. She made two more runs to European ports with ammunition and general cargo before departing Dartmouth, England, for the east coast 25 May 1919. Arriving Norfolk, Va., 9 June, Morristown decommissioned 13 June and was delivered to the USSB. She remained in USSB custody until scrapped 4 January 1936.