Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Morgan County

 

Counties in eleven states of the United States.

 

(LST‑1048: dp. 2,366; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 119; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST‑511)

 

LST‑1048 was laid down 7 January 1945, by the Dravo Corp., Neville Island, Pa.; launched 17 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. L. P. Struble; placed in partial commission 15 March 1945 for the cruise down the Mississippi River; and commissioned at New Orleans 28 March 1945, Lt. Robert G. Stevenson in command.

 

After shakedown off Florida, LST‑1048 departed New Orleans 1 May 1945 for Hawaii, arriving Pearl Harbor 3 June. She sailed to the Marshall Islands, where she transported ammunition between various bases for the next 3 months, before departing Saipan 14 September with units of the 3d Marine Division destined for duty in Japan.

 

LST‑1048 decommissioned in Japan 14 May 1946, and was turned over to the Army for the next 5 years to aid in the task of repatriation. Following the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, she recommissioned at Yokosuka, Japan, 26 August 1950, reaching Korea in time to play an important role in the Inchon invasion. She continued to operate in Korean waters into early 1951, before returning home, arriving San Diego 21 April. Her next western Pacific tour included a survey of the Marshalls for CINCPACFLT. She then returned to Japan, arriving Yokosuka 26 April 1952, to resume cargo and transport operations in the war zone, in support of UN forces meeting the challenge of Communist aggression. In December she returned to the west coast.

 

Following a run to supply stations in the Arctic region, she departed San Diego 19 October 1953 again for the Far East, where she participated in amphibious exercises, returning to the United States May 1954. Following overhaul at Mare Island, she reported to her new base at Long Beach, Calif., June 1955. LST‑1048 was named Morgan County 1 July. She decommissioned 10 May 1956, and was turned over to the Military Sea Transportation Service. She was struck from the Naval Register 1 August 1959, and sold 10 June 1960 to Ships Inc.

 

Morgan County received three battle stars for Korean service.