A village and fishing resort on Long Island, N.Y., near Montauk Point, the eastern extremity of New York.
(SP‑392: t. 161; l. 121'; b. 19'; dr. 10' (mean); s. 8 k. cpl. 24)
The second Montauk (SP‑392), built originally at Kennebunk, Maine, in 1880, was rebuilt at Wilmington, Del., in 1905; and acquired by the Navy through purchase from the Fisheries Products Co., Wilmington, N.C., 17 August 1917. Placed in service as a coastal minesweeper soon thereafter, Montauk patrolled the coastline of the 6th Naval District until 21 August 1918. Cruising at that time off the Florida coast, she was lost, with seven of her crew, when she went ashore at Cumberland Island in a northeasterly gale.