A county in each of the following States: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
(LST‑1038: dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 119; 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST‑511)
LST‑1038 was laid down 29 October 1944 by the Drava, Corp., Pittsburgh, Pa.; launched 6 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Elwood Printz; and commissioned, at New Orleans, 5 February 1945, Lt. Julius Wood in command.
Following shakedown exercises along the Florida gulf coast, LST‑1038 returned to New Orleans for availability then steamed to Gulfport, Miss., and Mobile, Ala., taking on side‑carry pontoons at the former and cargo ammunition at the latter. Loaded by 15 March, she departed for the Panama Canal en route to the western Pacific. Steaming independently, she arrived at Ulithi 4 May, departing again on the 8th with convoy UOL‑11, then headed west to the embattled Ryukyus. On 16 May, she sighted Kerama Retto and, after reporting to CTG 31.15, commenced supplying ammunition to fleet units as necessary, primarily DDs and DMSs. The constant threat of Japanese air attack kept the crew alert at all times, bringing them to general quarters at least once every day for the next month. On 10 June, she shifted her operating area to Nakagusuku Wan, Okinawa, where she carried out similar ammunition supply ship missions for CTG 31.19 until the end of the month. She then got underway for Leyte, arriving 6 July to begin availability.
Two days after the formal surrender, in Tokyo Bay, 2 September, LST‑1038 cleared Subic Bay en route to Luzon where she took on personnel attached to headquarters, XI Army, for transportation to Wakayama, Honshu, for occupation duty. Disembarking her passengers on the 25th, she returned to the Philippines to take on further occupation troops. During the next 2 months she completed two more troop lifts, one from the Philippines, the other from Okinawa. On 27 December, she sailed for Saipan, thence steamed to Tinian where she took on cargo for Guam. Arriving there 10 January 1946, she sailed again, 2 February, heading for the Russells for temporary duty under ComMarianas in connection with rollup of ocean bases in that area.
Detached from the Pacific Fleet in the spring, LST‑1088 headed back toward the Panama Canal and duty on the Atlantic coast. In May she reported to the 3d Naval District and for the next 3 years served as a training vessel for naval reservists in the New York area. In 1949, she was ordered south for inactivation. Decommissioning in June, she entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, berthing at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Renamed Monroe County 1 July 1955, she remained in Florida until 1958, when she was struck from the Naval Register on 1 November 1958.
LST‑1038 received one battle star for her World War II service.