Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Monomoy

 

A point and island off the west coast of Cape Cod in Nantucket Shoals.

 

(AG‑40: dp. 2,580; l. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 18'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 70; a. 14", 4.50 cal. mg., 2 dcp.)

 

Monomoy (AG‑40) was built In 1918 by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Duluth, Minn.; acquired as J. Floyd Massey, Jr. 15 September 1941 from Steel Products Transportation Co., Buffalo, N.Y.; renamed Monomoy 15 October 1941; and commissioned 24 December 1941.

 

Monomoy, manned and operated by the Coast Guard, joined the Weather Patrol, Atlantic Fleet, in 1942. From her base at Boston, she periodically sailed to weather stations 1 and 2, where she provided weather reports vital for the safety of convoys and air commerce. Operating in dangerous waters, she made frequent contact with marauding submarines. Attacked by a Nazi U‑boat 24 July, she returned fire, damaging the submarine, forcing it to break off action. She continued patrolling the North Atlantic for the next 15 months, and despite enemy harassment and rough seas, was able to render valuable service to those crossing the Atlantic. She was formally transferred to the Coast Guard 22 October 1943, and stricken from the Naval Register 30 October. Redesignated WAG‑275, Monomoy served the Coast Guard through the remainder of the war and was then transferred to the Maritime Commission. She was scrapped in 1951.