Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Monitor

 

A person or thing that warns or instructs. Ericsson suggested the name hoping that his novel warship would admonish the South and Great Britain which was then sympathetic to the Confederacy.

 

II

 

(AN‑1:dp. 5,625 t.; l. 451'4"; b. 60'3"; dr. 20'; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 564; a. 2 5", 8 40mm.; cl. Osage)

 

The second Monitor (AN‑1)was laid down 21 October 1941 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pascagoula, Miss.; launched 29 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Terhune; redesignated AP‑160 2 August 1943; and first commissioned 18 March 1944. Due to delays in construction, the ship was transferred under her own power to Todd Shipyards, Brooklyn, N.Y., for completion, being LSV‑5, 2 April, Monitor commissioned for service 14 June 1944, Comdr. J. B. McVey in command.

 

Following shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, Monitor steamed via the Panama Canal to Pearl Harbor, arriving 10 August. Loading troops, cargo and amphibious DUKWs, the ship joined the 3d Meet off Leyte in October, participating in the landings at Leyte Gulf 20 October and then removing wounded for transport to Morotai. She returned to Leyte with reinforcements 14 November and then sailed for Sansapor where she reloaded troops and equipment for the invasion of Luzon. Steaming for Lingayen Gulf, under air attack much of the way, the landing ship, vehicle, put her assault force ashore 9 January 1945 and then stood by in support, splashing an enemy plane that night with only 28 rounds of 40mm. expended.

 

In the closing days of January, the ship took part in two invasions in support of the Lingayen operation, the landing on San Felipe and La Paz 29 January, and the landing of American Rangers on Grande Island in Subic Bay on the 30th. Monitor then steamed for Guadalcanal where she loaded marines for transport to Okinawa, participating in the D‑Day landings 1 April and then standing by off that hotly contested island until 10 May when she sailed for the United States. During May, June, and July, the LSV made several trips between Pearl Harbor and the west coast with passenger’s and cargo and then in August proceeded to Saipan to load medical personnel and supplies, departing on the 15th for Japan. Joining the 3d Meet off Tokoyo, Monitor took on board 1,000 bluejackets from battleships Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, and Alabama, conducting the first landing on Japanese homeland 30 August. The ship then served as a hospital ship to assist in the removal of Allied prisoners of war, over 8,000 repatriates being received on board and helped on their way before the amphibious vessel departed Japan 19 September.

 

Returning to the United States, Monitor was assigned to operation “Magic Carpet,” the massive program to bring the troops home. She operated on this long but happy chore until decommissioning in the Reserve Fleet, Galveston, Tex., 22 May 1947. Reclassified MCS‑5, 18 October 1956, Monitor was struck from the Naval Register 1 September 1961 and transferred to the Maritime National Defense Reserve Fleet, Beaumont, Tex., where she remains in 1969.