An island about 10 miles off the coast of southern Maine in the approaches to Muscongus Bay.
(YFB‑18: t. 140 (gr.); l. 114'6"; b. 26'; dr. 6'; cpl. 11; a. none)
Monhegan (YFB‑18), a wooden ferryboat, was built as SS Madisonville by Madisonville Shipbuilding Corp., Madisonville, La., in 1927; purchased by the Navy at New York from her owners Charles B. Sutton and G. H. Moon of New York City 20 December 1940; transferred to the Philadelphia Navy Yard 23 December 1940; and placed in service at Philadelphia 2 January 1941.
The ferryboat was designated YFB‑18 on 4 January 1941 and was renamed Monhegan 9 January. Assigned to the 4th Naval District 27 January, she served as a ferryboat in the Delaware River during World War II. She transported Navy Yard workers between the Navy Yard and the New Jersey shore.
Monhegan was placed out of service 6 June 1946 at Philadelphia. Her name was struck from the Navy list 28 August 1946 and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission 17 May 1947 for resale to her former owners.