A tribe of Algonquin Indians which formerly lived on the banks of the Hudson River but were gradually absorbed into the surrounding tribes. The remnants of the Mohicans are now known as the Stockbridge Indians.
(ScSlp: dp. 1,900; lbp. 216'; b. 37'; dr. 17'6"; s. 10.65 k. cpl. 230; a. 1 8", 8 9", 1 60‑pdr; cl. Galena)
The second Mohican, also a steam sloop of war, was laid down by Mare Island Navy Yard, Calif., 4 September 1872, funded with the repair money allocated for the first Mohican; launched 27 December 1883; sponsored by Miss Eleanor W. Much; and commissioned 25 May 1885, Comdr. Benjamin F. Day in command.
Assigned to the Pacific Squadron, Mohican departed San Francisco 27 June 1885 to patrol the coast of Mexico and South America. Steaming as far south as Callao, Peru, the sloop of war spent the winter at that port and then departed 6 March 1886 for the South Pacific. For the remainder of the year, the warship cruised in tropical waters, visiting the Marquesas, Tahiti, and the Tuamoto Archipelago, and patrolling Samoan waters to protect American interests from German political interference. In July she paid an official call in Auckland, New Zealand. She surveyed Easter Island in December for the Smithsonian Institution, and then sailed on the 31st for South America, arriving Valparaiso, Chile, 14 January 1887.
Mohican operated off the South American coast until sailing from Callao for Honolulu 10 September, and then following protocol activities and patrol in the islands through January 1888 cruised in the South Pacific until returning to Mare Island via Honolulu 1 August. The warship underwent an 11‑month overhaul and then returned to Polynesian waters to patrol, in addition visiting Sydney, Australia, and Auckland. After a year‑and‑a‑half cruise, she returned to San Francisco 9 April 1891.
Two months later, 19 June, Mohican stood out to assist the Bering Sea fishing fleet protecting the sealing plants and fisheries from trouble, remaining on patrol in northern waters until 19 October 1892. The sloop departed for another cruise to Hawaii 29 January 1893 and then sailed in June for Alaska to continue her Bering Sea patrols. Mohican ended her 22‑month cruise at San Francisco 8 October 1884. The ship remained on the Pacific coast, visiting ports in the Northwest and patrolling until decommissioning at Mare Island 16 September 1895.
Mohican recommissioned 8 February 1898 because of imminent danger of war with Spain. She then made two voyages to Hawaii to protect American interests, March to May and June to September. Following the end of the Spanish‑American War she was assigned duty as a school ship for landsmen at Mare Island. The venerable sloop cruised the Pacific coast into 1902 and then in January 1903 sailed across the Pacific, steaming via Honolulu, Christmas Island, Samoa, and Guam to Yokohama, Japan, on a goodwill visit. She returned to Mare Island in August following stops at Honolulu and Dutch Harbor, Unalaska, and then resumed cruising the Californian and Mexican coasts. On 8 April 1904, the ship was assigned as station ship at the Naval Station, Olongapo, Subic Bay, Luzon, Philippines, and 1 month later sailed via Honolulu, Guam, and Cavite for her new station, arriving 4 February 1905.
Mohican served as station ship into 1910, being ordered to additional service as tender for submarine divisions, Asiatic Fleet, 30 December 1909. The veteran warship steamed to Cavite 30 March 1910 for duty as submarine tender there and 3 years later 17 March 1913 was designated receiving ship at Cavite and stationary tender, 1st Submarine Group, Torpedo Flotilla, Asiastic Fleet. Though relieved of this duty by monitor Monadnock 27 June 1914, she continued her tending duties through the end of 1915. Mohican decommissioned at Cavite 21 October 1921 and was sold 4 March 1922 to A. E. Haley of Manila.