A North American Indian tribe, part of the Iroquois Confederation, which originally dwelt in the Mohawk River Valley, N.Y., but was forced to flee to Canada for having sided with the Loyalists during the American Revolution.
(YT‑17: dp. 368; l. 103'10"; b. 24'; dr. 10'9"; s. 12 k.)
The third Mohawk (YT‑17) was built in 1893 as T. P. Fowler by T. S. Marval & Co., Newburgh, N.Y.; acquired by the Navy from Cornell Steamboat Co., 23 April 1898; and assigned to the 5th Naval District.
The tug operated in and around the navy yard, Norfolk, Va., for nearly half a century, making several voyages a year to naval installations throughout the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay area, serving the fleet by towing barges and aiding naval vessels. Designated YT‑17 in 1920, her name was canceled in 1942. YT‑17 was renamed YTL‑17 in 1944 and continued service at Norfolk through the end of World War II. The tugboat was turned over to the War Shipping Administration for disposal 1 October 1946 and sold to W. S. Sanders, Norfolk, Va., in 1948. She was subsequently sold to H. B. Stone of Wilmington, N.C.