A concentration of small particles of water floating in air.
(StwGbt: 1. 232; l. 157'3"; b. 30'4"; s. 5.5 k.; a. 2 20‑pdrs., 4 24‑pdrs., 1 12‑pdr.)
Mist, a stern‑wheel steamer built at Allegheny, Pa., in 1864, was purchased at Cincinnati, Ohio, 23 December 1864, and commissioned at Mound City, Ill., 3 March 1865, Acting Master W. E. H. Fontress in command.
Mist was converted into a gunboat during the first 4 months of 1865. The new tinclad was assigned to the 8th District, Mississippi Squadron and patrolled the river protecting steamers and river settlements from desperadoes. Mist was removed from naval duty 4 August; decommissioned at Mound City and was sold at public auction to C. C. Hutchinson 17 August 1865. Documented as a merchant ship, she served American commerce on the Mississippi and its tributaries until 1874.