The 24th State, admitted to the Union 10 August 1821, Missouri was named for the Missouri River, an Indian name meaning “muddy waters.”
(SwStr: t. 399; l. 183'; b. 53'8"; dr. 8'3";2 11", 4 9", 2 32‑pdrs.)
The second Missouri, a side‑wheel steamer, was formerly Confederate ironclad ram Missouri, launched at Shreveport, La., 14 April 1863.
Under Lt. J. H. Carter, CSN, the ship served the South transporting troops and on mining details between Alexandria and Shreveport, above the Red River obstructions.
At the war’s end, Missouri came down to Shreveport and surrendered to Acting Rear Adm. Samuel P. Lee’s Mississippi Squadron 3 June 1865. A crew from steamer Ouachita sailed her to the mouth of the Red River.
Taken into the U.S. Navy, the ship was never commissioned since she was built of green timber and leaked badly. The steamer was dismantled and laid up at Mount City, Ill., after the railroad iron forming her armor had been removed. Missouri was sold at public auction at Mound City to John Riley 29 November.