A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in colonial California founded in 1823.
(AO‑135: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; dr. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T.T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission Solano was laid down 8 October 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 14 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William B. Hawke; and delivered 30 March 1944.
Chartered to Deconhill Shipping Co., for operations, she spent the remainder of the war carrying fuel to our forces in the western Pacific. She remained in this capacity until 29 April 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash.
Acquired by the Navy 20 October 1947, she was chartered to the Pacific Atlantic Steamship Co., for operations and placed under the operational control of the Naval Transportation Service as Mission Solano (AO‑135). When the newly created Military Sea Transportation Service took over operational control 1 October 1949, she was redesignated USNS Mission Solano (T‑AO‑135). She served with MSTS until 15 August 1957 when she was returned to the Maritime Administration and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. She was struck from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register on the same date.
Sold to Sea‑Land Service Inc., 26 May 1967, she was converted into a containership. She was renamed Jacksonville 27 December 1967. Resold to Madison Transportation Co. 19 June 1968, into 1969, she is still in the merchant service as a containership.