Mission Santa Ynez
A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in colonial California founded in 1804.
(AO‑134: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; dr. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T. T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission Santa Ynez was laid down 9 September 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 19 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ralph K. Davies; and delivered 13 March 1944.
Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc., for operations, she spent the remainder of the war carrying fuel to our forces overseas. She remained in this capacity until 28 March 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at James River, Va.
Acquired by the Navy 22 October 1947, she was placed in service with the Naval Transportation Service as Mission Santa Ynez (AO‑134). Taken over by the newly created Military Sea Transportation Service 1 October 1949, she was redesignated USNS Mission Santa Ynez (T‑AO‑134). Chartered to Mathiasens Tanker Industries, Inc., for operations, she still serves MSTS, the only ship of her class to serve MSTS continuously, since its establishment.