Mission Santa Cruz
A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in colonial California founded in 1791.
(AO‑133: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; dr. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T. T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission Santa Cruz was laid down 26 June 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 8 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank C. Sewell; and delivered 31 December 1943.
Chartered to Deconhill Shipping Corp., for operations, she spent the remainder of the war carrying fuel to our forces fighting in the Pacific. She remained in this capacity until 3 June 1946, when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Ala.
Acquired by the Navy 24 October 1947, she was placed in service with the Naval Transportation Service as Mission Santa Cruz (AO‑133). Placed under the operational control of the new Military Sea Transportation Service 1 October 1949, she was redesignated USNS Mission Santa Cruz (T‑AO‑133). She served with MSTS until 23 November 1954, when she was transferred to the Maritime Administration and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Beaumont, Tex.
Reacquired by the Navy 10 July 1956, she was placed in service with MSTS and served until 4 December 1959, when she was transferred to the Maritime Administration and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Ala.
Reacquired by the Navy 31 May 1960, Mission Santa Cruz was placed in service with MSTS once again and into 1969 she is still faithfully serving MSTS carrying fuel to our forces and allies overseas.