Mission San Raphael
A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in colonial California founded in 1817.
(AO‑130: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; dr. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T.T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission San Raphael was laid down 25 September 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 31 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Edith S. Waterman; and delivered 22 March 1944.
Chartered to Los Angeles Tanker Operators, Inc., for operations on the same date, she spent the remainder of the war carrying fuel to our forces in the western Pacific. She remained in this capacity until 25 April 1946 when she was transferred to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash.
Acquired by the Navy 21 October 1947, she was chartered to Union Oil Co., for operations and placed under the operational control of the Naval Transportation Service as Mission San Raphael (AO‑130). Transferred to the control of the newly created Military Sea Transportation Service on 1 October 1949, she was redesignated USNS Mission San Raphael (T‑AO‑130). She remained with MSTS until 2 February 1955, when she was returned to MARAD and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. She was struck from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register 22 June 1955.
Reacquired by the Navy 20 June 1956, she was once again placed in service with MSTS and was operated, under charter, by Marine Transport Lines. She served until 20 August 1959, when she was returned to MARAD and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet. at Suisun Bay, Calif.
Reacquired by the Navy on 31 May 1960, she was placed in service with MSTS and operated, under charter, by Marine Transport Lines. Into 1969, she is still serving with MSTS, carrying fuel to our forces stationed overseas.