Mission San Luis Rey
A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in California founded in 1798.
(AO‑128: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; dr. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T.T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission San Luis Rey was laid down 15 October 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 29 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. T. L. Phillips; and delivered 31 March 1944.
Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc., for operations, she spent the remainder of the war carrying fuel to our bases overseas. She served in this capacity until 29 March 1946, when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at James River, Va.
Acquired by the Navy 23 October 1947, she was placed in service with the Naval Transportation Service as Mission San Luis Rey (AO‑128) and remained in this service until 1 October 1949, when she was transferred to the newly created Military Sea Transportation Service for duty as USNS Mission San Luis Rey (T‑AO‑128). She remained in this capacity until 6 May 1955, when she was returned to the Maritime Administration and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif. She was struck from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register 22 June 1955.
Reacquired by the Navy on 22 June 1956, she was placed in service with MSTS. She served with MSTS until 19 November 1957, when she was struck from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register on the same date and transferred to the Maritime Administration for layup in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Beaumont, Tex. Into 1969, she remains berthed at Beaumont, Tex.