Mission Los Angeles
A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in California founded in 1781.
(A0‑117: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; d. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T. T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission Los Angeles was laid down 25 April 1945 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 10 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Daniel J. Johnston; and delivered 29 October 1945.
Operated by Los Angeles Tanker Operators Inc., under charter, her period of service was short, for on 16 July 1946, she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Beaumont, Tex.
Acquired by the Navy on 24 October 1947, she was placed in service with the Naval Transportation Service as Mission Los Angeles (AO‑117). Absorbed into the new Military Sea Transportation Service on 1 October 1949, she was designated USNS Mission Los Angeles (T‑AO‑ 17) and continued her services in support of the fleet until 12 November 1957, when she was returned to the Maritime Administration and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Beaumont, Tex. Struck from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register on the same date, she is still berthed at Beaumont, Tex., into 1969 waiting for the call to duty.