A merchant name retained. A Franciscan mission in California founded in 1776.
(AO‑115: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'; d. 30'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. none; cl. Mission Buenaventura; T. T2‑SE‑A2)
Mission Dolores was laid down 13 February 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corp., Sausalito, Calif.; launched 26 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William E. Briggs; and delivered 31 May 1944.
Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc., on 31 May, for operations, she spent the remainder of the war providing fuel products to our forces in the Pacific. Returned to the Maritime Commission 17 May 1946, she was laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash.
Acquired by the Navy 20 October 1947, she was designated as Mission Dolores (AO‑115) and transferred to the Naval Transportation Service for service. Operating under charter by Union Oil Co., she carried fuel and oil to our forces and our allies overseas, and continued in this duty after the Naval Transportation Service had been replaced by the Military Sea Transportation Service. From 1 October 1949, the date MSTS was created, until May 1955, she operated as USNS Mission Dolores (T‑AO‑115). Returned to the Maritime Administration on 22 June 1955, she was laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. She was struck from the U.S. Naval Vessel Register on the same date.
Reacquired by the Navy on 27 June 1956, she was placed in service with MSTS on the same date and served with them until returned to the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash., on 19 September 1957. Into 1969, Mission Dolores is still berthed at Olympia.