A star in the constellation Cetus, the whale.
Mira (SP‑118), a wooden motor launch, was built in 1911 by Holmes Motor Co., West Mystic, Conn.; scheduled for use by the Navy in the 3d Naval District; but returned to her owner, Charles L. Poor, 8 May 1918 prior to commissioning.
Mira (AK‑84) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Penn‑Jersey Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J., 22 May 1943 as William Nott; launched 31 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Clementine C. O’Brien; acquired by the Navy 6 November 1943 for service as Mira (AK-84). However, she was never commissioned but was transferred to the Army 7 November 1943. Her name was struck from the Navy list 16 November 1943.
Mira served the remainder of World War II under control of the War Department. Renamed Robert M. Emery in 1944, she was converted for use as an engineer port repair ship by Bethlehem Steel Co., Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., in mid‑1944. Thence, she served at ports in the United Kingdom, North Africa, and France. She steamed to the Pacific in July 1945 and operated in the Hawaiian Islands between September and November. Subsequently, she returned to the west coast for transfer to the Maritime Commission.