Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Minotaur

 

The mythological monster of Crete, half man half bull, who was confined in the Labyrinth.

 

(ARL‑15: dp. 1,781; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 2.53; a. 8 40mm.; cl. Achelous)

 

Minotaur (ARL‑15) was laid down as LST‑645 by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., Seneca, Ill., 20 June 1944; redesignated ARL‑15 on 14 August 1944; launched 20 September 1944; placed in ferry commission 30 September for conversion at Mobile, Ala.; and commissioned as Minotaur (ARL‑15) 26 February 1945, Lt. Joseph H. Church in command.

 

Completing shakedown in March at the Amphibious Training Base, Panama City, Fla., Minotaur returned to Mobile to load steelplate and marine engines before departing for the Pacific. Steaming via the Marshall and Caroline Island groups, she anchored Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 4 June. Having arrived during the final stage in the capture of this Japanese bastion, she remained at Okinawa through the end of the war and until 12 December, when she sailed her landing craft repair facilities to Iwo Jima. Making two voyages to Chichi Jima, Bonin Islands, she served in the area a month and a half before heading home. Transiting the Panama Canal 10 April, Minotaur entered the Mississippi River 8 days later and moored New Orleans. In June Minotaur arrived Orange, Tex., and joined the 16th Fleet. She decommissioned 26 February 1947.

 

During the Korean conflict, Minotaur recommissioned 14 June 1951, Lt. Comdr. D. Garrett in command. Assigned to Mine Squadron 8 and home ported at Charleston, S.C., for the next 4 years she repaired minesweepers and net layers. She made working visits to Panama City and Yorktown, Va., and maintained sea readiness during training periods in the Chesapeake Bay operating area. Minotaur departed coastal waters only once for a short Caribbean tour early in 1953 before being made available for foreign duty under the Military Assistance Program 2 years later.

 

At New York 3 October 1955, Minotaur decommissioned and was loaned to the Republic of Korea. Into 1969 she serves the Korean Navy as Duk Soo (ARL‑1).

 

Minotaur received one battle star for World War II service.