Ail Indian word meaning “forget” or “good earth.”
(YTB‑257: dp. 400; l. 110'; b. 27'; dr. 11'4"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Cahto)
Minooka (YTB‑257) was laid down as YT‑257 by Anderson and Christofani, San Francisco, Calif., 4 November 1943; named Minooka 5 January 1944; launched 22 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Walter D. Anderson; reclassified YTB‑257 on 15 May 1944; and completed and placed in service at Mare Island Navy Yard 8 August 1944.
Assigned to duty with Service Squadron 2, Minooka steamed to Pearl Harbor prior to beginning tug and towing duty in the central Pacific. As the thrust of American seapower moved westward toward the heart of the Japanese Empire, the tug maintained a busy schedule of supporting the Pacific Fleet. After the capture of Okinawa, Minooka carried out a variety of towing missions in waters of that important American base. The Naval Operating Base at Okinawa assumed operational control of the tug 11 August 1945.
Minooka continued to serve in the western Pacific, but she sustained structural damage from the vicious typhoons which struck Okinawa in the autumn of 1945. During 1946, she served at Sasebo, Japan, and in November she aided ships operating at Tsingtao, China. On 30 May 1947 she was sold to the Nationalist Chinese Board of Supplies, and her name was struck from the Navy list 10 June 1947.