An Indian word.
(YTB‑408: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7"; s. 13 k.;cl. Sassaba.)
Minniska was laid down as YT‑408 by Ira S. Bushey & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y. 9 March 1944; redesignated YTB‑408, 15 May 1944; launched 31 July 1944; and placed in service 1 March 1945.
Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Minniska began her journey to Pearl Harbor soon after being placed in service. By 21 April she had reported for duty with ServRon 2 and was enroute to fulfill her mission, providing assistance to other naval ships and crafts in the vicinity of anchorages and piers, e.g., berthing, docking and towing, and providing waterfront fire protection, at advanced bases in the Pacific. Serving first at N.O.B., Guam, she operated at advanced bases until July 1966, when she was transferred back to the 1st Fleet. Into 1969, she continues to provide seemingly mundane, but highly important services to the Pacific Fleet.