The wife of Hiawatha, the Dakota Indian chief in Longfellow’s “The Song of Hiawatha.” Translation of the name from the Sioux language is “laughing water.”
(YT‑271: dp. 320 t. (f); l. 102'; b. 24'; dr. 10'2"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 15; a. none)
Minnehaha (YT‑271) was built in 1942 by Gulfport Boiler Works, Port Arthur, Tex., for Michael Moran Tug Co.; acquired by the Navy 29 May 1942; named Minnehaha 9 June 1942; and placed in service with the 5th Naval District 10 July 1942.
The harbor tug, redesignated YTM‑271 on 15 May 1944, continued in service in the 5th Naval District until stricken from the Navy list 30 December 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposition. Subsequently sold to Penn No. 3. Inc., of Rosslyn, N.Y., the tug operates into 1969 as Penn No. 3.