The seventh largest island in the Philippines, located southwest of Luzon.
(CVE‑120: dp. 11,373; l. 557'1"; b. 75'; ew. 105'2"; dr. 32'; s. 19 k.; cpl. 1,066; a. 2 5", 36 40mm., 20 20mm., ac. 34; cl. Commencement Bay)
Mindoro (CVE‑120) was laid down by Todd‑Pacific Shipyards, Inc., Tacoma, Wash., 2 January 1945; launched 27 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. R. L. Bowman; and commissioned at Tacoma 4 December 1945, Capt. Edwin R. Peck in command.
After shakedown along the west coast, Mindoro sailed for the east coast late in January 1946 and arrived Norfolk, Va., 15 February. Assigned to Carrier Division 14, she began carrier air training operations along the east coast, and in May she joined ships of the 8th Fleet for exercises in waters of the West Indies. During the remainder of the year she ranged the Atlantic from New England to Cuba, training naval aviators and taking part in ASW hunter‑killer exercises.
As the Nation underwent a general demobilization, even in spite of the emerging and growing menace of worldwide communism, Mindoro continued to carry out a busy schedule of training and readiness operations. During the next 9 years she operated out of Norfolk. Her numerous type training and fleet exercises sent her the length of the eastern coast of North America from Davis Strait to the Caribbean, and across the Atlantic to the British Isles and the Mediterranean. In 1950 and again in 1954 she deployed to the Mediterranean where she bolstered the ever‑vigilant forces of the 6th Fleet.
After completing exercises off the Virginia Capes, Mindoro steamed to Boston 17 January 1955. She decommissioned at Boston 4 August 1955 and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While berthed at Boston, she was reclassified AKV‑20 on 7 May 1959. Later that year she was authorized for disposal, and her name was struck from the Navy list 1 December. Subsequently, she was disposed of in June 1960 and scrapped at Hong Kong later that year.