The seventh largest island in the Philippines, located southwest of Luzon.
(YAG‑15: t. 446 (gr.); l. 156'2"; b. 28'5"; dr. 14'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 25; a. 1 6‑pdr., 2 20mm., 2 dcp.)
The second Mindoro (YAG‑15) was built as SS Kallisto, a diesel powered steel freighter, by Krupp Germania Werft, Kiel, Germany, in 1921; acquired by the Navy 30 July 1942 as Fisherman II from W. R. Dobbs of San Pedro, Calif.; renamed Mindoro (YAG‑15) 22 August 1942; and commissioned at Long Beach, Calif., 6 January 1943, Lt. William K. Gillett in command.
Assigned to the port director of the 11th Naval District, Mindoro operated between Long Beach and San Diego until 23 March when she sailed for the southwest Pacific. Steaming via the Fijis, she reached Efate, New Hebrides, 11 May. Thence, operations sent her to New Caledonia and to the Solomons where she arrived Florida Island in mid‑June. During the remainder of the war, Mindoro supported advanced naval base activities in the South and Southwest Pacific. On 1 March 1945 her name was canceled and she retained her hull classification YAG‑15. Following the defeat of the Japanese Empire, YAG‑15 returned to the west coast. She decommissioned 3 December 1945 and was struck from the Navy list 19 December 1945. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 22 October 1946.