The seventh largest island in the Philippines, located southwest of Luzon.
A former name retained.
(Gbt: dp. 142; l. 100'6"; b. 16'; dr. 6'9"; s. 7 k.; cpl. 27; a. 1 3‑pdr., 1 37mm., 1 G.g.)
The first Mindoro, an unarmored gunboat, was built by Hong Kong & Whampoa Dock Co., Hong Kong, B.C.C., in 1886; purchased by the War Department in 1899; transferred to the Navy and commissioned 12 June 1899, at Cavite, Ens. M. J. McCormack in command.
Shortly after commissioning Mindoro departed Manila Bay for patrol duty off the northern coast of Luzon. Cruising from San Fernando to Aparri, on the extreme northern tip of the Philippines, the ship operated in these waters, keeping order, protecting American lives, and suppressing piracy until ordered to Cavite 13 April 1900. The gunboat decommissioned there on the 23d, and underwent overhaul at Cavite Navy Yard for 6 months.
Recommissioning 31 October, Mindoro soon got underway for duty in the southern Philippines, She arrived off Samar to support Army landings in the Gandara River expedition, 24 to 25 November. The ship fought valiantly against heavy odds in the narrow confines of the river; and, while attempting to run the cross‑channel barrier set up by the “Insurrectos,” ran aground. Refloated the next day, she was forced to withdraw because the river was too shallow. Proceeding to Calbayog, she disembarked her troops there and then steamed for Mindanao, arriving 30 November.
For the next 10 months, the one‑stack gunboat operated off Mindanao, Samar, and Cebu, cruising the Mindanao, Sulu, and Visayan seas, aiding the Army against the rebels. She returned to Cavite 13 September 1901 and decommissioned 26 September.
Mindoro again recommissioned 19 August 1904 and immediately sailed for Mindanao to assist the Army in putting down a rebellion in the Rio Grande Valley. She patrolled off Mindanao in support of American military operations on the island, remaining on duty there until returning to Cavite and decommissioning 17 January 1906.
The ship was loaned to the Army on 31 March, for service in Manila Bay. From 1907 to 1909, she was in ordinary at Cavite, before recommissioning 10 May, Lt. Chandler K. Jones in command.
Once again sailing to the southern Philippines, Mindoro suppressed piracy until she returned to Cavite for repairs December 1909. Assigned to the Asiatic Fleet 30 December, she stood out for Cebu 15 March 1910 and subsequently was on patrol duty around Jolo, Bongo, and Mindanao The gunboat returned to Cavite for the last time in April 1911, and on the 11th was placed out of commission there. Stricken from the Navy list 19 June 1911, Mindoro was sold 19 April 1912 to J. M. Poizat & Co.