A village in Ohio; the birthplace of Thomas A. Edison.
(YP‑6; dp. 37; l. 74'11"; b. 13'8"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 8.)
Milan (YP‑6), built in 1925 at Kingston, N.Y., served in the U.S. Coast Guard as Onandago (WCG 209) until transferred to the Navy and placed in service 11 December 1933; renamed Skaneateles, 1June 1934; and renamed Milan 20 October 1937, rechristened by Mrs. Charles Edison, wife of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy and daughter‑in‑law of Thomas A. Edison.
After her rechristening as Milan, YP‑6, a former district patrol vessel, was tied up at the Washington Navy Yard for the use of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy. With the outbreak of World War II, she was returned to patrol duties. In the middle of the war she was loaned, for a brief period, to the dock department, city of New York, after which she returned to the Washington, D.C., area, stationed at Dahlgren, Va. Declared to be excess to the needs of the Navy, 5 April 1946, Milan was turned over to WSA for disposal 7 July 1946 and sold 27 July 1946.