Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mikanopy

 

A Seminole chief.

 

(YT‑329: dp. 234; l. 110'8"; b. 25'4"; dr. 9'8".)

 

Mikanopy (YT‑329), built as Kanak by the United Engineering Works, Alameda, Calif., in 1913, was acquired by the Navy through WSA on a bareboat charter basis from Alaska Packers Association, Inc., San Francisco, Calif., 4 September 1942, and placed in service at Seattle 24 September 1942.

 

Assigned to the 13th Naval District, she provided essential tugging services to naval shipping in the increasingly important Puget Sound area throughout her naval career. In mid‑January 1944 her bareboat charter was terminated and on 20 January she got underway for San Francisco where she was placed out of service 10 February 1944. She was returned to her previous owner, via WSA, the same day and struck from the Naval Register 6 March 1944.