A county in central Michigan and western Texas.
(AK‑195: dp. 7,450 (lim.); l. 338'6"; b. 50'0"; dr. 21'1", (lim.); s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Alamosa; T. Cl‑M‑AVI)
Midland (AK‑195) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wis., 29 July 1944; launched 23 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William G. Mitsch; converted by the New Orleans Naval Station; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission on loan‑charter 17 August 1945; placed in service the same day to be ferried from Beaumont to Galveston, Tex., and placed out of service upon arrival the 18th; and commissioned 27 September 1945, Lt. Lloyd K. Barry, USNR, in command.
Because of the reduced need for cargo ships following World War II, Midland decommissioned at New Orleans 13 November 1945 and was returned to the WSA the same day for service under the Maritime Commission as Coastal Harbinger.