The legendary king of Phrygia whose touch turned all to gold.
(ARB‑5: dp. 1,781; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 269; a. 1 3"; 8 4mm.; 8 20mm.; cl. Aristaeus)
Midas (ARB‑5) was laid down as LST‑514 on 31 August 1943 by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., Seneca, III.; reclassified and named Midas (ARB‑5) 3 November 1943; launched 24 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frederick J. Miller; and commissioned 23 May 1944 at Baltimore, Md., Lt. Robert A. Young in command.
Midas got underway for the Pacific, departing Norfolk, Va., 25 June 1944. She arrived off New Guinea 26 August, having repaired ships in the Society Islands and New Caledonia en route. She continued to operate along the northern coast of New Guinea until late in October when ordered to the Philippines, arriving 12 November as the first 7th Fleet repair ship at San Pedro, Leyte.
During her stay she witnessed numerous air attacks. She splashed one plane 27 November and she repaired ships of all types, readying them for further operations in the Philippines. After 25 May 1945, she continued her battle damage and routine repair work from Guiuan Roadstead, Samar, Philippine Islands. With the end of the war, Midas centered more on mine‑damaged hulls. Short‑handed as a result of men transferred for discharge, she steamed for home 10 December, arriving San Francisco 17 January 1946.
Midas served in the 12th Naval District until transferred to San Diego in May. The repair ship was placed in reserve, in commission, 30 November 1946 as part of the 19th Fleet. She was decommissioned in January 1947. Through 1969 Midas is still berthed at San Diego as part of the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Midas (ARB‑5) received one battle star for World War II service.