Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Meyer

 

George von Lengerke Meyer, born 24 June 1858 at Boston, Mass., graduated from Harvard University in 1879 and pursued a career in the mercantile and banking world until 1899. During that period he also served as councilman and alderman for the city of Boston and in 1802 became one of its representatives in the Massachusetts Legislature. Serving until 1897 he acted as Speaker of the House during the last 3 years. From 1900 to 1905 he served as Ambassador to Italy and, from 1905 to 1907, as Ambassador to Russia. Returning to the United States, he served President Roosevelt as Postmaster General and then, 6March 1909, was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Taft. He held that office through the Taft administration and then returned to Massachusetts. He died at Boston 9 March 1918.

 

(DD‑279: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4" (mean); s. 35 k.; cpl. 120; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)

 

Meyer (DD‑279) was laid down 6 February 1919 at the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., Squantum, Mass.; launched 18 July 1919; sponsored by Mrs. C. R. P. Rodgers, daughter of Mr. Meyer; and commissioned 17 December 1919, Comdr. W. E. Clarke in command.

 

After an east coast shakedown, Meyer departed Boston 9 February 1920 for the west coast. She arrived San Diego 1 April only to depart soon afterward for a cruise to San Francisco and various Alaskan ports. Returning to San Diego 18 August, she continued to operate along the west coast, ranging from Alaska to Panama, with occasional voyages to Hawaii, for the next 812 years. During that time her assignments were varied and in August, 1927, Meyer served as one of the ships used to assist pilots participating in the Dole Race from the mainland to Hawaii.

 

Early in 1929 the destroyer began inactivation overhaul and on 15 May was decommissioned at San Diego. On 17 June she was towed to Mare Island for scrapping. Struck 25 November 1930, her materials were sold 25 February 1932.