Former name retained.
(Str: dp. 19,550; l. 488'3"; b. 57'2"; dr. 32'6"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 108; a. 1 6", 1 6‑pdr.)
Mexican, built in 1907 by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., was acquired on bareboat charter basis by the War Department, 10 December 1917, from the American Hawaiian SS Co., New York, N.Y.; fitted out at Norfolk; and commissioned 23 December 1917.
Manned by naval personnel and operated on the Army account, Mexican served as a NOTS animal transport until 13 December 1918. At that time she was transferred to the Troop Transport Force, refitted for that purpose by the Army and used to return American troops from Europe. She was returned to her owners 4 August 1919.